Thursday, April 05, 2007

I'm a fool for foule!

Oh Foule! How do I love thee? You are the food I crave most when away from Doha, the food I want every time I feel very hungry, and the food that tastes best when combined with oil, sweat, and grime.

I write it foule, but it is actually spelled "foul" and pronounced like "fool"

What is foul? Only the most delicious bean dish on the planet. It is actually fava beans, ground up with olive oil and tahini, and then sprinkled with a variety of spices.
The preparation varies depending on the country you are in or who makes it, but the best foul I've had in Doha is from a small restaurant along what we call "restaurant row". Our favorite dish is the foul mix, which is as described above, but also "mixed" with cheese, boiled egg, and diced tomatoes. MMMMMmmmm....
Also found near the foul restaurant are schwarma and felafel stands, a samosa hut, and delicious arabic mezza shops with mutabel, hummus, cheese bread, zatar bread, and so much more. I've been known to eat there (as have the other TAs) 3-4 times/week.

FYI, when going out to get foul, one says "I'm going to foul," or if feeling social, "want to go to foul?" The restaurant does have a name and even produced a menu with English translations recently, but seeing as how it has the best foul anyone I know here has ever tried, I will continue calling the small blue shop with only three tables, 12 men cooking, and a large floor area for sitting with crossed legs "FOUL"

Some photos to whet your appetites:

Inside the restaurant.

FOUL MIX!!!!

Summer and Maga, last year.
I like to share with Maga because she eats the least.

WCMCQ People in August, 2006. Although appearing unhappy, Chris Jones loves foul too. It just got a bit uncomfortably close in there. Plus, everyone took his foul, and he felt like a fool. :(

Regular Foul (no mix) and the yummy veggies.


This will be licked clean, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home