Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Egypt

Hello all! I realized my last post was not only ages ago, but it was pretty depressing.

So, on my way back to Idaho for the winter holidays (we have 8 weeks off from work - woo-hoo), I stopped in Egypt.

A short flight from Doha (3 hours), it was while waiting for my luggage when I first thought, "hmm...I could turn around, change my tickets, and go straight home right now"

However, I'm toughing it out and putting up with all the hassle of Egypt to see the amazing things that can be seen here. The first experience with the tradition of baksheesh (tipping) was experience by my boyfriend and travel companion, Chris. After walking through the passport line, another customs official stopped Chris and demanded a "tip". For what, we are not sure, but he seemed to be stopping all male tourists to ask the same. Egh.
We were bombarded with baksheesh requests pretty much every ten minutes after that, and it has not ceased. I'm getting very good at my "mean" looks. I'm learning to suppress my smiles and "no thankyous" to just - "NO!"
The scowl accompanied by the NO seems to work the best. People expect baksheesh for everything from pointing out a direction (even when not requested to do so) to opening a door or smiling at you. Also, we are constantly asked to check out a shop, take a boat/taxi/carriage ride, and occasionally followed down the street for some time.
This is all very frustrating and neither Chris nor I like the feeling of being on-guard at all times to resist the scams. But, we've been told it is unavoidable and must be experienced to enjoy all that Egypt has to offer.

That being said, we enjoyed the visit to the Valley of the Kings, where the pharoahs built tombs to protect their bodies and treasures until their souls returned. Unfortunately many of the tombs were raided by thieves throughout the years. Thus, we are walking the paths of thieves, both new and old.....
We visited the tombs of Ramses the III, IV, and IX. Unfortunately, the tomb of King Tut was not much to offer as all its treasures are in the Museum in Cairo.
We are currently in Luxor, enjoying the Nile and the many temples and museums. Today, I found the mummification museum quite enjoyable. There's nothing like a mummified cat or crocodile 3000 years old to put things in perspective.

Tomorrow, we are off to Dahab on the Sinai Peninsula to SCUBA dive in some of the best areas in the world, as well as climb Mt. Sinai and hear the voice of God....

Miss you all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home