Saturday, December 09, 2006

Red Sea, Mt Sinai, and the mouse

Before I start, I want to tell family and friends to check out prufrockstar.org
This is a blog by Chris, and he did such a good job I'm electing not to write about Morocco or Luxor. Yeah....

OK - I think 32 hours with only 2 hours of broken sleep is not enough. Maybe, just maybe. Yesterday in Dahab on the Sinai Peninsula was beautiful. I spent a couple of my awake hours 20 meters under the sea surface observing the coral and sea life. How better to end a day like that than a pre-dawn hike of Mt. Sinai?

You know, Mt. Sinai - burning bush, ten commandments, Moses and all that.

Anyhow, Chris and I attempted to sleep some time in the evening after a seafood feast by the water. Unfortunately our lovely room has a third guest that we were not expecting - a cute little brown mouse. Well, I thought he was cute at first. Now he is really annoying and likes to play in plastic when we should all be sleeping. Alas, there was no sleep to be had before the journey to Mt Sinai that began at 11PM. Upon returning from the mountain at 12 noon (that's right, 13 hours later), the mousie is still very active and annoying.
Chris and I tried to live in harmony with the mouse, but he is just too noisy. After a day of diving, a night without sleep, 12 hours spent hiking 2300 meters and sitting in the frigid wind on top of a mountain waiting for the very slow sun to rise, and a bus ride made terrifying by the falling-asleep driver, the mouse needs to DIE! Yeah, I don't like to kill little mousies.....but we told the management (still a very lovely and peaceful guest house), and they apparently like to kill little mousies. So, here I sit in an internet cafe, giving the poor mousie a couple of hours to take the bait (some poison sprinkled on a tomato - I should have told them he likes cookies....) and kick it. Life is tragic.

I think Chris and I are not really looking forward to the 8 hour bus ride that will take us to the busy and chaotic Cairo tomorrow. However, I'm excited to see the pyramids and the Egyptian Museum, which houses many of the treasures that were once in the tombs we saw in Luxor.

I promise to post photos soon, and a story about the trek up Mt. Sinai. It was long and cold, but still beautiful. I'm happy to have sacrificed the sleep which I'm sure I'll get plenty of when back in the states.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amgad said...

I was pointed to your blog by Chris' blog. He and I were flatmates for two years. Sounds like quite the trip you're having. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Cheers!

12/10/2006 05:57:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

So happy to see there are blogs from Americans in Qatar. Life sounds pretty fantastic! I'm moving there with my gf in a couple of months and have been searching for contacts there. Any chance you would be ok with chatting with my gf about your experience there? She's a bit nervous...

1/19/2007 10:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home