Saturday, September 17, 2005

Extracurricular Madness

Well, I've only been here a little over a month and I'm feeling like I've done an adequate job of getting involved. Mondays I run with the Hash House Harriers, Tuesdays and Wednesdays I play rugby at the Doha Rugby Club, and Thursdays I have horse riding lessons. RUN???? you ask. Yes, a group of about 30 UK citizens and a couple of lonely Americans go running in the desert. Last week we angered a local when we spooked a herd of camels. I came jogging down a hill and had to pause to let the herd of camels go by. As I watched them running off into the sunset I found myself asking a question of 'where am I?'

This happened again when I was horseback riding. I'm taking lessons at some local stables, and hopefully I will learn how to jump and race. Aside from the lessons though, there is a wealthy Qatari gentleman who likes one of the other TAs. He lets her ride at his farm - or palace. These are some of the best quotes from him:

-"That is my aunt's house - she's the Emir's (King's) wife. Oh and my cousin is the Emir's second wife"
-"Ohh no that [three story mansion] is not going to be my house. That
is just a relaxing house. I will build my [probably incredibly large]
house over there."
-"This horse is yours, ride it whenever you like."
-"Do you have a husband? No, then are you, how do you say, single?"

This series of quotes has me convinced he is courting my friend, and it should be interesting to see what new developments come from this. Mom and Dad - do not worry - I have no intention of allowing a wealthy arab to give me a horse. You can breathe again.

Anyhow, somewhere in the midst of her stories of riding an Arabian horse through the desert with a wealthy Qatari man in a thobe (white robe with white head covering), I got the feeling that I am now living in an alternate universe. I wish I could describe it better to all of you, but that is the best I can do.

Other than wealthy Arabs and Camels, I'm also enjoying the rugby team here in Doha. This week I started working out with the team. I had no intention to play when I started, but if I get selected to the team I will travel to Oman, Kuwait, Abu Dabi and Dubai free of charge. That is tempting.
Also, the rugby pitch is the first place I have seen grass while in Qatar. It was wonderful.

Continuing on with my theme of extracurricular madness, I'm hoping to start SCUBA lessons, maybe on Sundays. My week is complete!

I am surprised and delighted with the wealth of opportunities I have experienced so far in Qatar. I'm looking forward to what will certainly come in the future, and pictures will follow this post soon enough.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you are well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home